Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eggs on a Snowy Saturday Morning

Jet lag again besets me. I've been surfing the Internet since 4am this morning. We had a big snow day yesterday and I can only imagine how cold and miserable it must still be outside. The chilliness in my apartment started giving me hunger pangs. My mind inevitably started wandering towards breakfast. I had eggs in my fridge, honey ham and brie cheese. An omelette! I decided to throw in my leftover slice of emmental cheese and since brie reminds me so much of jam, I decided to mix in some strawberry jam as a new twist. It would be really quick to put together.

Ingredients:












3 large eggs
1 tsp olive oil
3 slices honey ham
1 slice of emmental cheese (optional)
1 piece of brie (approx 1 oz)
1 tsp strawberry preserve
1/2 fresh tomato for garnish (optional)

Method:
1. Chop up the cheeses and ham.
2. Mix the cheeses, ham and strawberry jam in a bowl.
3. Mix the eggs in a bowl with a fork, season with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
4. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium low heat.
5. Pour the eggs into the pan and stir vigorously, scrambling it somewhat.
6. When the eggs begin to set more, move and slide the eggs towards one side of the frying pan, covering half of the pan.
7. Put the ham, cheese and ham mixture onto the half-cooked eggs.
8. Immediately start to fold the eggs over the ham mixture, towards the edge of the pan.
9. When the omelette is set, slide the omelette onto a plate and serve with slices of tomato.

My Observations:
- My omelette turned out to be quite watery on the inside, anyone with any idea why?
- Cranking up the heat to high at the end of your cooking time will result in an appetizing brown crust on the omelette.

No comments:

Post a Comment